Oldmain - New Year felicitations to you all

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

To race... Or not to race.


I hate making posts about me but I have a bit of an issue at the moment that is directly related to me being ill. I kid you not when I say that I've been sick for nearly ten days now. And things just don't seem to be getting any better.

Normally I would just shrug it off and wait to get better, but I have a feeling that I may be so stressed this time about being sick that I'm just making myself sicker.

I have the Tour de Manawatu cycle race this sunday and I've been looking forward to it for ages as it's my first race. I've been rather nervous but very excited about it and can't wait to challenge myself against numerous other cyclists.

However, we encounter our first problem. A while back now, when I started to get sick, I was on a training ride of the course. I had no energy to get up the hills, was feeling nauseous to the point of being sick twice. I really don't want that to happen during the race when I can't stop. (On that particular training ride I ended up bailing about 25km in because I was feeling so rotten).

The next problem - I havn't trained since then. I'm petrified of going into a race and not being very fit. Yes, I understand that a week or so off training shouldn't affect me too much, but I didn't have a hang of a lot of base fitness. Not on hills anyway.

Basically I guess you could just say I'm afraid of coming last. Maybe I would have come last anyway, but I really didn't feel the need to increase my chances of this embarrassment.

And the third problem is - I don't really think that it will do much for my health, if I race while I'm sick. I'll probably get sicker. And I'm going away next wednesday or thursday to New Plymouth for a few days with Daniel for one of his races which I really don't want to be sick for.

Actually - there is a fourth problem. There is no way that I want to bail from something like this. It's only 50km..... I should be fine, right?

4 Comments:

  • First of all - even if you did come last who cares? Somebody has to come last, and it's all just for fun anyway!! No-one's life is depending on first place!!

    But if you're not up to it, then why hurt yourself and potentially delay further progress?? You have stated enough reasons not to do the race - maybe it's a sign that this one just isn't for you.

    Aunty Roz thinks that you should sit this one out, and when the next event arrives you'll kick arse!! And if you are worried about placements - do you think doing a race when you're not at your best is the way to go?? Coz you'll look silly if you fall off or black out or vomit because you pushed yourself way too far!!

    Plus you can sit back and watch all the suckers competing!! When you do get to race, you won't even break a sweat!!

    By Blogger Roslyn, at 11:41 pm, October 31, 2006  

  • Ok - not what you want to hear - but I think I'd respect you more if you spewed on a cow!!

    By Blogger Roslyn, at 9:41 am, November 01, 2006  

  • I just drove out to Ashhurst and did the first couple of big (in my opinion) hills and didn't die from a coughing fit, or just conk out and fall off a cliff.

    That has to be a good sign, right? As long as I don't try to be a hero and push the bigger gears going up the climbs I should cope.... I hope!

    By Blogger Susie, at 12:24 pm, November 01, 2006  

  • I retract that comment - doing hill work today was a bad bad idea.

    I'm sorry I couldn't make the associates dinner Tim and John :-(

    By Blogger Susie, at 10:34 pm, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home