Oldmain - New Year felicitations to you all

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bella's

Ah the delights of writing about food. It just occurred to me that I might be considered a big fat pig because I'm writing a bit about this topic of eating and where I consider good places to engage in this happy pastime.

But we all need to eat. Food gives us energy. Energy helps us do things. When we do things (like exercise for example) we feel happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands! How I love Legally Blonde!

Anyway, what I mean to say is that eating is important, so why not enjoy it?

I would like to talk about one of my favourite places today. I can't remember how long I've been going there for but I think it would have to be going on 10 years. My parents go there a lot, so I've always been taken along. In more recent times I've been out to dinner with friends there and even more recently Dan has taken me there.

I'm referring to Bella's. It's a charming little restaurant situated on the Square, nestled between the ramp to the library and The Stunned Mullet on the corner of the Coleman Mall. Most people don't seem to know where it is which I find odd, because Bella's does a roaring trade, especially on Thursdays and Fridays (from experience).

It's a two levelled building, with a cute narrow staircase to the upper half. There's a dusky, candlelit sort of atmosphere and the staff never fail to look after you extremely well. In my entire experience of dining there I have never once had a complaint about anything. They're all extremely well trained and professional as well as friendly.

The menu is superb. There is a classics section which consists of italian style meals, based on pasta and some on seafood. I have to point out here that the mussels are beautiful. They are cooked in a chilli and cream reduction and are without a doubt the yummiest mussels I have ever had. Mum has always taken me there for lunch after I've passed my exams or managed to achieve something worth celebrating, and we always have the mussels. I actually can't even begin to explain how good they are. Take care if you have trouble with spicy food though - they do have a bit of a bite to them on account of the chilli.

The rest of the menu is generally set, usual dished like beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish and salmon. All of these are accompanied with fascinating sides like kumara rosti (the salmon) and other interesting things. Along with this, diners can also choose from a green salad, a baked potato (of the day), shoestring fries with aioli, or (my favourite) the seasonal vegetables.

On top of this there are also about three specials. Last time I went (about a week ago) one of the specials was whitebait (which Dan got) and another was scallops (which my mother had as a main and I had as an entree). I can't recall the third but it was something equally as enticing.

This is one of the few places about which I can really say "It's worth staying for dessert." Yes, it's expensive, but wow, you really get what you pay for. The menu generally stays the same, with delicious treats such as raspberry creme brulee, frozen chocolate mousse and baked white chocolate cheesecake. Along with the menu, there is also a cakes cabinet (to my father's glee) which contains an assortment of sticky treats such as pecan pie and blackforest cherry cake.

Finally - I can actually say something about the drinks. They have a fantastic assortment of wines which will perfectly compliment your meal. They also have (to my delight) a wide range of pure juices, such as pineapple, feijoa and sundry other ones. I can truly say that these juices are SO good.

Atmosphere
9
Food
9
Drink
8.5

5 Comments:

  • Ah yes - Prices. You're looking at around $30 a main, $16 an entree and $16 again for desserts. Very much worth it though. While the meals aren't huge, they're beautifully presented and YUM!

    By Blogger Susie, at 7:44 pm, October 17, 2006  

  • As I said - it's so worth it! I've never left there feeling hungry though, just nicely satisfied. While when I leave Breakers or Pizza Hut I normally feel like barfing from eating so much. My own fault, yes, but I've always been taught to finish whatever was on my plate :-p

    We should go there for lunch sometime! I have a feeling that the "classics" menu is a bit more inexpensive than the other menu....

    Either way - It is "definitely" worth it! :-)

    By Blogger Susie, at 8:13 pm, October 17, 2006  

  • So don't be put off by the price tag, my fellow students!

    By Blogger Susie, at 8:14 pm, October 17, 2006  

  • $30 for a main!! I don't have $30!! I had to use my credit card to get Sparticus a new collar and name tag, because she FUCKING LOST THEM!!!

    However, if I was to be taken out for dinner......

    Damn my fear of commitment - I could be getting free fucking dinners!!

    By Blogger Roslyn, at 11:05 pm, October 17, 2006  

  • I was impressed!

    By Blogger Susie, at 5:10 pm, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home