Oldmain - New Year felicitations to you all

Monday, October 16, 2006

To my dismay and astonishment......

I realsied while reading the blog that I hadn't posted for quite some time and that I really have no excuse for this lack of electronic communication between myself and my peers.

So............ I'm back in David Burton mode again!!!

This time - I am reviewing a cafe/bar that is relatively new to Palmerston North, although they have been popping up randomly all over the North Island for the last two years I believe.

I am of course talking about Breakers and I feel the need to mention my first encounter with this.... restaurant was in Napier. Then a few months later in Taupo. I thought it was a great idea for somewhere a bit better than Pizza Hut but a bit more casual than somewhere like.... say the Cobb. Not that the Cobb is particularly flash either....

Anyway, Breakers fits in somewhere between a cafe and a restaurant. As the name suggests, there is something of a beach theme going on which is quite cool. Some of the tables are in the shape of longboards, there are surfboards on the walls and sundry other beach items. There's even a table in Kombie van style (spelling may be wrong there!) with seats and a table inside.

A decent meal ranges from $10-$25. There are great burgers from $10 which come with fries. Paying a bit more can get you a steak, salad and fries. And then there are seafood dishes like platters, scallops and prawns. If you want my honest opinion on these dishes I's say - go somewhere else. You're paying about $25 for a seafood dish that you could pay an extra five bucks for somewhere that prepares food a lot better.

The drinks are nothing flash. I believe Tim mentioned on one (possibly more) occassion that the tap beer was warm. I tried a kiddies cocktail (haha) once and it was pretty darn bad. The drinks seemed a bit pricey as well. $5 for a shake that is pretty much just flavoured milk. Not cool at all methinks.

Overall though I give Breakers the thumbs up. It has a decent atmosphere, good burgers and a fun pretend van that you can eat in. What more could you want?

Atmoshpere
6.5
Food
7.5
Drink
4

1 Comments:

  • Maybe we liked the Napier and Taupo Breakers better because we were sitting outside in some actual sun?? Granted the other ones didn't have the awesome Kombi van, and probably didn't have Jandals on the wall.

    I hope those were new Jandals, gross if feet germs are on the wall... which would make them EVERYWHERE!!!!!

    By Blogger Roslyn, at 10:25 pm, October 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home