Oldmain - New Year felicitations to you all

Friday, September 29, 2006

Snakes..... On a plane.



I thought that since I hadn't posted for a couple of days, I should probably contribute something to the blog and the first thing that sprang to mind was a movie that I saw recently - Snakes on a Plane.

One of the first things I feel I need to point out about this movie is the most obvious: The title. Snakes on a plane pretty much sums up the entire movie. For this reason, I'm not going to have a whinge about how there is no storyline or character development or anything else that other people claim that the movie is lacking.

I mean come on. Snakes on a Plane. What the hang did they expect?! The title says Snakes on a Plane and snakes on a plane is what you get. I'll also add here that the nature of the title automatically rules out any possiblity for the movie to be taken seriously. It is just an excuse for the director, David R. Ellis, to have a lot of fun in seeing how much chaos can be caused when a bunch of snakes get set loose in an airborne plane.

And whatever anyone else says, I think that it makes a highly entertaining movie. Sure, it isn't perfect cinema, traditionally speaking, but it's packed with action filled snake scenes. I hate snakes, but I like the movie so much I went back to see it again with Dan. The first thing Dan said when we came out of the cinema was "How did you sit through that movie two times?! It had no storyline!" Which demonstates my point of it not needing a good storyline to be entertaining.

I think that Samuel L. Jackson is undoubtedly the high point in this film though. Even better than seeing a snake attack a man in the bathroom and biting his, well, you know what. Bursting forth with lines like "Sporks?!", "Oh great, snakes on crack!" and everyone's favourite, "I have had it with these motherf***ing snakes on this motherf***ing plane!" And I think we can all agree that no one says "Motherf***cker" better than Samuel L. Jackson. Plus he saves the day in the end (of course) and asks the spunky flight attendant out for dinner.

If you're looking for a philosophical movie that makes you question life, then don't bother with this one. However, if you want a bit of gore, a lot of havoc, snakes slithering all over people and biting them in odd places, and LOADS of entertainment then I can highly recommend Snakes on a Plane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home